KäseSpätzle

This dish brings me back to my childhood!  I grew up eating Spätzle as a regular side or even main dish.  My dad is from Switzerland and my family and I would spend 2-3 months out of the year there during my childhood.  At home, restaurants and family outings I would always choose Spätzle over Schnitzel, Wurstsalat, or any other "traditional" dish.
Two years ago I went back to Switzerland with my family and couldn't wait to get some KäseSpätzle in my belly!  Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I remembered.  Either my taste buds had changed, my palette expanded or both!  It was creamy but not cheesy, bland and needless to say I was a bit disappointed.
When I got home I knew I had to make it "my way" again.  Spätzle noodles are easy to make once you get the dough right, however there are so many great pre made brands out there that make this dish easy to have ready on your kitchen table in 20 minutes!

Here is my version of a quick and easy KäseSpätzle...



I bought this package of German style Spätzle that takes 10 minutes to cook which is the perfect amount of time to get everything else ready for this dish!

As I am waiting for the water to boil before I put the Spätzle in I thinly slice a medium sized yellow onion and sauté it over medium heat with a little extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).  It takes a good 10-15 minutes for the onions to caramelize and turn a beautiful golden color.  The longer you let the onions cook, the sweeter they become.


Either in a separate pan or after the onions have cooked, dice thick cut pancetta into small cubes (you can substitute bacon if you can't find pancetta) and cook over medium high heat until crispy.  Transfer to a plate with paper towels to soak up the extra fat drippings.


Once the water is boiling, add a little salt (1 tsp or healthy pinch) and then drop the Spätzle in to cook until al dente (approximately 10 minutes) but taste test before draining.

Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F.

Shred gruyere cheese or something similar (emmental works great).  I personally think the nuttiness and creaminess of the gruyere cheese is the perfect compliment to the sweet and crunchy caramelized onions.  Once everything is cooked, its time to assemble!

After draining the cooked Spätzle add to an oven safe pyrex dish and mix with butter until coated. Top with the shredded cheese and caramelized onions.  Put in oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.  Add pancetta to individual plates or to the pyrex dish once cheese is cooked through.


without pancetta (vegetarian option)


and with pancetta 


INGREDIENTS

3 cups Spätzle
1/2 cup thick cut pancetta (or bacon)
1 cup Gruyere Cheese
2 tbsp Butter
1 yellow onion sliced thin
2 tsp EVOO to sauté


Here is the vegetarian version shown on my sons placemat.  I paired it with fresh blueberries and my Sole Dore recipe (blog for that coming soon). He loved the Spätzle and I hope your family does as well!

From my family to yours...We hope you enjoy this dish over conversation, laughs, firsts for your babies and creating memories around the kitchen table! Buon Appetito!



Comments

Popular Posts