Creamy Polenta / Sautéed Veggies / Poached Egg

This dish is a crowd pleaser for meat eaters and vegetarians alike!  This gluten free hearty dish is packed with protein, robust flavors and leaves you feeling satisfied after your one dish meal.

Any polenta brand will work, but for this dish I used Bob's Red Mill Organic Corn Grits Polenta
http://www.bobsredmill.com/corn-grits-polenta-organic.html 
You can follow the Basic Italian Polenta recipe on the back of the bag but if you do I recommend adding an extra cup of water to give it a little more moisture.  You can also add extra flavor by using chicken stock or vegetable stock instead of water.

This week I bought assorted bell peppers so I used them in a few dishes, not waste any of the fresh veggies ( see my previous post on Mini Turkey Meatballs).  I also used a yellow onion and garlic.
The trick of the dish is getting the poached egg right.  Honestly I think I first learned to poach an egg from Alton Brown.  Here is his link to perfect poached eggs. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-poached-eggs-recipe.html



Once everything is ready...time to assemble!  I spoon the polenta in a shallow bowl, top it with a little salt and pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Atop that I add a heaping spoonful of the sautéed veggies and then the poached egg.  I sprinkle a little italian parsley and extra fresh cracked pepper and then dig in!

The yoke of the poached egg adds a nice velvety texture and creaminess to the polenta without adding any cream! 


From my family to yours... We hope you enjoy this dish over conversation, laughs, firsts for your babies and creating memories around the kitchen table! Buon Appetito

Comments

Popular Posts