Fall"ish" Minestrone Soup




I have been waiting (patiently....kind of) for this California weather to cool down to a classic Fall day with a crisp chill in the air so I can make all the soups, stews, chili's and Fall/Winter foods that we all love so much.

This Fall"ish" Minestrone soup is so easy to make, has very little prep time and it will add so much flavor to any meal.  The good thing about this soup is you can make it over the weekend, keep the pot in the refrigerator and heat it up any day of the week or in my case, every day of the week!

Most of the ingredients in this soup I always have on hand (onion, garlic, celery, carrots, herbs) which helps when I want to make this soup on the fly without going to the grocery store for ingredients.  A few packs of frozen veggies, kidney and white beans, and fire roasted diced tomatoes bring a well balanced hearty soup together.  Bonus in my household... my 3 year old loves soup these days ( YAY!!!) of course covered in fresh Parmesan cheese and pesto because who doesn't love that and my 1 year old gets assorted soft veggies, beans and noodles to eat (not throw on the floor for our dog of course).  When I can get away with a one pot meal for EVERYONE in my house, I am one happy mama!

I make this soup on the stove top however it can be made in a crock pot as well if you want to put all the ingredients in during the morning and come home from work/school/errands to a delicious smelling soup and hungry bellies!



INGREDIENTS
2 cups (1 Medium) diced Yellow Onion
2 cups (4-5 large carrots) diced Carrots
2 cups (4-5 stalks) diced Celery (including celery leaves)
1-15 oz can White Beans drained and rinsed
2-15 oz cans Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
3 cloves minced Garlic
8 oz bag Frozen Broccoli
8 oz bag Frozen Cauliflower
6 oz Frozen Corn
16 oz bag Frozen Butternut Squash
1-15 oz can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1-15 oz can Tomato Sauce
2-32 oz boxes of stock (I use Vegetable but you can use Chicken)
1 Tbsp Fresh chopped Thyme
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1 Tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
Parmesan Reggiano Cheese Rind (see notes below)

Added Toppings
Cooked Elbow Pasta (cook separately...I don't like cooking my pasta in the soup because it absorbs all of the liquid and becomes a little too mushy.  I add it to the bowl right before I serve it)
Basil Pesto
Grated Paremsan Reggiano

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot over medium heat add a few teaspoons of EVOO with the onion, celery and carrots.  Stir frequently until onions are translucent and fragrant, about 10 minutes.

Add garlic, frozen veggies, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and stir for another few minutes (2-3 minutes).  Lastly add the beans, diced fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and cheese rind to the pot.  Stir, set the heat to medium low and cover.

Cook for 20-30 minutes covered.  Once you are ready to serve take the cheese rind out.  Place a spoonful of cooked Elbow Pasta at the bottom of your bowl, cover with soup and then top with fresh basil pesto, grated parmesan reggiano cheese and serve along side homemade Garlic bread which is the perfect soup dipper!


Note: I buy my Parmesan Reggiano Cheese whole and save the rinds in a ziplock bag in the freezer.  Whenever I am making soups I add a rind for added flavor. 



**If you are using a crock pot, do the first step the same (onions, celery and carrots) and then add the mixture to the crock pot and top with the remaining ingredients adding the beans last.  Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Remove the cheese rind when you are ready to serve straight from the crock pot!**



Also...feel free to put any sort of frozen veggies in here that suite your palate.  The nice thing is you don't have to follow this recipe exactly if you don't have the exact ingredients or you don't like them....create your own personalized Fall"ish" Minestrone Soup!





 

Comments

Popular Posts