Beef and Barley "Stoop"

So I have to be honest....I don't eat red meat, HOWEVER I do still cook it for my family since my husband is a huge carnivore and at the same time I want my son to try all types of food and eventually choose for himself what he likes/dislikes.  So needless to say it's hard for me to judge the flavor profiles until my husband can try it and let me know if there is something missing.  This dish is a team effort!



This "Stoop" came about because we were at the farmers market and I bought a pound of grass fed organic stew meat from Old Creek Ranch in Cayucos, California.  Side note-I always try and buy local and organic ingredients when I can so we make an effort to go to a farmers market each week.



Anyways, back to the beef...I first thought of making a dish in the crockpot; something easy and healthy where I can put everything my son and my husband need in a meal in ONE dish.  I call this dish a "Stoop" because it is a little thicker than a soup and a little thinner than a stew.  So ergo "Stoop"!    The best part of this dish is you can feed it to your babies (8+ month), toddlers, teenagers and adults in your household.  Only thing you need to do is take a little bit out to purée for the baby.  I recommend waiting until it has cooled or has been in the refrigerator overnight before you purée it,  the fibers of the meat purée better when its cooled.
It only takes 15 minutes to prep so it's great to make early in the morning and then be able to walk in the door after work or picking up the kids and have a delicious meal ready!  It can't get easier than this for a purely simple gourmet meal at home!



I start by prepping the veggies.  Peel and chop the onion, garlic, carrots and celery.  Add the chopped veggies to a sauté pan with a little olive oil over medium heat along with the stew meat, salt and pepper.  Cook for 3-4 minutes until the meat starts to brown.



Transfer to the crockpot, add frozen corn, barley, beef stock and can of diced tomatoes (with juices).  Stir all the ingredients together and then turn the Crockpot/slow cooker on to low for 8 hours.  The meat ends up being so tender you don't even need a knife to cut it.  My son couldn't get enough of it!



INGREDIENTS

1-1 1/2 lbs grass fed stew beef
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3-5 carrots peeled and chopped
3 celery stocks chopped
3 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup frozen organic corn
2/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
1 can (14.5 oz) organic diced tomatoes, undrained
4-5 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

*Option - You can add 1 tbsp of tomato paste to make it a little thicker like a stew.

Garnish
Fresh Italian Parsley
Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
Hot sauce for spicy lovers!


From my family to yours... We hope you enjoy this dish over conversation, laughs, firsts for your babies and creating memories around the kitchen table! Buon Appetito!

Comments

Popular Posts